Recipe: $9.26 | Per Serving: $1.55 | Yield: 6
I know I’m not alone when I say I think pizza is one of the best foods on the planet. So versatile! So easy! So delicious! And as much as I love an NYC-style slice, or a traditional Napolitano-style pizza, I’m also super into quickly making pizza at home. Like to make in 20 minutes. Enter my favorite cheat: Pita Pizzas!
This is another one of those hey-lets-stop-at-Trader Joe’s-real-quick kind of meals. They are possibly my absolute favorite kinds of meals right now, because we are visiting friends and family all over the U-S-of-A and having a ready-to-use kitchen at my disposal has not been part of our daily life.
As for these pita pizzas, they’re easy and they’re versatile, and they’re pretty affordable. Around $1.50 per pita is awesome, especially since that price includes the entire 16-ounce tub of ricotta, which you might not use. Feel free to swap out the veggies (bell peppers? onions?), or add some meat (sausage? shredded chicken?), or even replace the ricotta with tomato slices or good ol’ pizza sauce. I love the creaminess of ricotta, but I get that it isn’t for everyone. I mean, I don’t fully get it, because I can eat it with a spoon, but ya know, you do you.
Anyway, in other news, Baltimore is pretty great! It’s definitely a cool city and I’m (so far) glad that we’re working on making it our new home. And I’m already looking forward to sending Zac off to the store to purchase ingredients for all these easy weeknight meals we’ve been cooking up. Muahaha.Print
- 1 Tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 3 cups chopped zucchini
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 whole wheat pitas
- 12–16 ounces ricotta cheese
- optional: 1 garlic clove, minced
- Warm the butter or oil in a large pan. Sauté sliced mushrooms until soft and fragrant, about 8 minutes. Add zucchini, salt, red pepper flakes, pepper, and optional garlic. Sauté another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place pitas on 1-2 large baking sheets. (Optional: mix the minced garlic with the ricotta cheese.) Spread ricotta cheese on each pita. Top with cooked vegetable mixture.
- Bake on 450ºF for about 10-12 minutes. Serve immediately or freeze for later!
To freeze: let cool completely. Place wax paper on top of each pizza and stack. Place in freezer bags and freeze. Alternately – freeze flat on baking sheet for 1 hour them move to freezer bag.
Toppings: start with about 5-6 cups raw vegetables, and up to 1 cup meat.