Per Serving: $1.15
This soup has so much flavor!
And it will take you about 1 hour to make, but over half of that is hands-off soup-simmering time. I promise. This is based on the creamy mushroom soup from 100 Days of Real Food, but I tasted it before adding cream and deemed it totally unnecessary! The mushrooms add so much flavor to the broth and farro. And if you have a mushroom hater in the family, chop them up into smaller bites or puree them in your blender instead.
I used farro, which I purchased on sale for about $2.00 a pound, but you can easily use brown rice ($1/pound) or barley ($1/pound), which are both much cheaper. You could also add some additional vegetables or white beans to make it a hearty stew. Easy, flavorful, and relatively cheap!
And I'm out.Print
A healthy vegetarian soup with mushrooms and whole grains. A tasty and easy lunch to make ahead of time.
- 1 Tablespoon butter (for vegan, replace with oil)
- 1/2 a large onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium-large carrots
- 1 pound mushrooms (button, crimini), sliced
- 1/2 cup uncooked farro, barley, brown rice, or wheat berries
- 4-5 cups broth (I used 4.5 cups broth and 4 cubes concentrated broth)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- Melt butter in large soup pot. Add diced onion and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until soft and fragrant.
- Meanwhile, mince the garlic, dice the carrots (I don’t peel them) and slice the mushrooms. Add to pan with salt and pepper and sauté for another 5-10 minutes or until the mushrooms are soft and fragrant.
- Add farro (or barley, etc.) and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover with lid slightly askew to let the steam escape. Simmer for 30-40 minutes, or until the grains are fully cooked, but still a little chewy. Dish into 4 bowls and serve with salad or roasted vegetables.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Category: Soup, Stew
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: farro soup, mushroom soup