Recipe: $5.00 | Per Serving: $1.25 | Yield: 4
Remember when I got really excited about cooking a whole chicken in the rice cooker? It was primarily because I was stoked to make THIS. Avocados keep going on sale for $1 each here (82 cents!), so we’ve been stockpiling them on the regular. Also, cherry tomatoes are really super delicious here, and though they’re not super cheap, they’re not bad, and well worth it.
This is the only way I want to eat chicken for the rest of my days. And they can be perfectly nestled in a bento box!
Maybe an exaggeration, but avocado makes everything better. And super juicy cherry tomatoes? A dash of fresh lemon or lime juice? It is a masterpiece. How happy would you be if THIS was an appetizer at your next summer BBQ?
And if you’re in a hurry, you can do what we sometimes (normally) do and just eat it with a fork! We actually ate this with chopsticks a few times since we lived here for 3 weeks before we got forks. LAZY.
I like a higher avocado-chicken ration, so I prefer about 1.5-2 cups mashed avocado for every 1 cup of chicken, but you can mash it and mix it and choose the ratio that best suits you. And don’t skimp on the citrus!
Okay, friends, eat avocado and be merry.Print
- 1 cup chopped or shredded cooked chicken (see recipes for a whole chicken in a rice cooker or in a slow cooker)
- 2 avocados (about 3/4 cup – 1 cup chunks)
- 6–10 grape or cherry tomatoes (or 1ish cup chopped tomato)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (about 1/2 a lemon), more to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: butter lettuce cups, salad greens, whole wheat naan, rolls
- Slice the cherry tomatoes in half or quarters and set aside.
- In a bowl, mash the avocado well, then stir in the chopped chicken, lemon juice, and seasonings. When mixed well, gently stir in the cherry tomatoes. (Or simply place them on top.)
- Enjoy on its own, served over salad greens, as lettuce wraps, with crackers, or in a sandwich! SO DELICIOUS.
- Category: Entree, Lunch, Bento