Beginning January 1st, we started Simple Green Smoothies’ January 30-Day Challenge. We really like it because it’s easy to get in some fresh fruit and veggies, but I also know that it’s not always the most budget-friendly option. You’re more likely to feel full if you eat 1 cup of spinach, 1/2 a banana, and a few chunks of pineapple than if you blend it all together in a smoothie. But, when you blend it in a smoothie, you’re more likely to actually eat it! It’s a toss up, right?
We didn’t *try* to be cost-effective for the first 10 days, so I decided to break it down by cost. This is 10 days’ worth of smoothies.
Daily Cost of Green Smoothies
- 2 bunches organic kale ($1.99 each) $3.98
- 1 12oz bag spinach $1.99
- 1 pound strawberries $3.99
- 3 bunches of bananas (10 total, 69 c/lb) $5.50
- 3 navel oranges (1 whole, 2 juiced) $1.50
- 2 apples (Honeycrisp) $1.00
- 1 mango $1.25
- 1 organic pineapple $3.99
Total = $23.20. $2.32 per batch or $1.16 per smoothie
Additionally, we bought 1 14oz bag of ground flaxseed for $6.49. This is not included in the price because we forgot it more than we remembered it! SMART.
Smoothies we made for $23.20:
- DAY 1: kale-banana-strawberry
- DAY 2: kale-banana-apple-flaxseed (& some coconut water)’
- DAY 3: kale-banana-mango-strawberry
- DAY 4: spinach-banana-strawberry-flaxseed
- DAY 5: spinach-banana-orange
- DAY 6: spinach-banana-strawberry-flaxseed (& juice of 1 orange)
- DAY 7: spinach-banana-apple
- DAY 8: spinach-banana-pineapple
- DAY 9: kale-banana-pineapple
- DAY 10: kale-banana-pineapple-flaxseed (& juice of 1 orange)
We’ll have to try a little harder with remembering ground flaxseed next time around. We’ve got another 20 days left on the smoothie plan, and we definitely plan on using some more expensive additions like blueberries and avocados. I’ll give the update here to see whether we were able to cut back on the price!