Recipe: $9.76 | Per Serving: $2.44 | Yield: 4
I didn’t know what to call this recipe. Ground turkey with pesto, tomatoes, mozzarella, and spaghetti squash seemed far too long, but that’s exactly what it is. Super easy and super delicious! With the cost of pesto and ground turkey, it’s a bit more on the expensive side for this site, but it’s still under $3 per meal, so that’s great!
I originally planned to make stuffed chicken breasts, but the store near my parents’ place had a questionable chicken selection. Instead, I opted for a much easier version of ground turkey & pesto. And apparently it’s hard for me to turn down a spaghetti squash when I see one. So Turkey & Spaghetti Squash Margherita it is. Like the pizza.
Although cooking spaghetti squash takes a good 30-45 minutes, the rest of this dish is super fast to throw together. Brown turkey. Add garlic. Add pesto & tomatoes and cook for a couple of minutes. Add mozzarella & melt it. DONE. You could even skip the garlic if you want. Or omit the cheese. It’s really okay.
We are officially moved in to our new apartment! In the last week, we have paid for: a car, an apartment, a bed + bedroom furniture, and $500 worth of miscellaneous household items at IKEA and Target. Like a Swiffer, and other cleaning supplies. So far so good, but I’m looking forward to putting everything together so we will feel like we have a home. Also, I’m really sick of living out of a suitcase. Actually, we’re now living out of about 6 suitcases, and I’m not sure which is worse.
BUT we have an OVEN! And I’m super stoked about that. This week we’re eating beans & rice, but I see lasagna in my future. (!!!!!!!)
For Paleo: Skip the cheese and use cheese-free Pesto (or make your own Paleo Pesto).
For Vegetarian: Use crumbled tempeh instead of ground turkey. Adjust seasonings as needed.
- 1 two-to-three-pound spaghetti squash
- 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound ground turkey (or chicken)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1.25 cups chopped tomatoes (or halved cherry/grape tomatoes)
- 2 Tablespoons pesto + 2–4 Tablespoons pesto
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella (feel free to use thin slices instead)
- Cook spaghetti squash. Slice the spaghetti squash in half (long-ways) and scoop out the seeds. Place flat-side-down on baking sheet (optional: rub with oil first), and bake for 40 minutes, or until squash is soft and “spaghetti” strands are easily pulled out with a fork. Let cool briefly before pulling out strands – it’s going to be hot! (Microwave instructions here. Alternate baking instructions here.)
- Meanwhile, mince the garlic and chop the tomatoes. Prep everything before cooking the turkey.
- Once the squash is almost done, prepare the ground turkey. Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Begin browning the turkey. When it is about halfway browned, add the minced garlic and cook until fully browned. Add 2 Tablespoons pesto and the tomatoes and stir well. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the cooked turkey, then cover and cook for about 2 more minutes to let the cheese melt.
- Place the spaghetti squash strands in a large bowl and add remaining pesto (2-4 Tablespoons). Combine well then top with the turkey and melted cheese. Garnish with basil or parsley and serve!
If you prepare the spaghetti squash in advance, this dish comes together in just 15 minutes!