Recipe: $2.50 | Per Serving: $0.63 | Yield: 4
Roasted cauliflower is one of my favorite vegetable sides. It's really versatile, and as long as you roast it long enough, it's always delicious. I'm a big fan of these cauliflower "steaks" because you don't waste the core. Just about every other method of using cauliflower requires you to remove and discard the core, but not this one!
I generally use just olive oil & salt, but you can get fancy with the spices. For example:
♦ cumin, cilantro, & lime
♦ garlic, black pepper, & lemon
♦ rosemary & garlic
I also love adding Parmesan cheese, so I've included that as an optional step in the recipe post. In terms of price, cauliflower changes a lot depending on the season. I recommend stocking up a bit when it's on sale. For example, if you buy three heads of cauliflower, you can roast one, steam & puree one and freeze it (for meatballs or to make white sauce for casserole), and the 3rd will keep in the fridge for 1-2 weeks, so you will have plenty of time to decide what you want to do with it. (I highly recommend Loaded Cauliflower Casserole!)
I promise that once you make this, you won't be able to stop eating it - so beware, it's very addicting!
- 1 head cauliflower mine was 1 ½ pounds
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil or coconut!
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Remove the green leafy parts of the cauliflower and place right-side up. Cut into thick slices.
- Spread out on 1-2 baking sheets and brush both sides with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt.
- Roast on 425ºF for 35 minutes.
- Optional: Flip and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and roast 5 minutes more.