Per Serving: $0.38
I’ve wanted to try these carrot applesauce muffins ever since they were posted last October on 100 Days of Real Food. You see, I LOVE muffins and “quick breads” like carrot bread and banana bread, and these muffins get the job done, plus they’re super healthy. We’re talking 100% whole-wheat flour, butter, carrots, applesauce, dates. Yep, DATES. I made a few changes from the original recipe, but not many.
I didn’t have ginger, which is why it is omitted, but I’m sure that would be a great addition. I added a little a little extra shredded carrot, and substituted the honey for date syrup, but that’s it.
Now go make yourself these awesome easy muffins to keep a healthy snack on hand! You can easily keep these in the freezer and defrost them before serving.
*Prices are approximate. Many ingredients were organic.Print
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter (1 stick, softened)
- 1 egg
- ½ cup date syrup (or ½ cup honey, pure maple syrup, etc.)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce (use peeled & cored, or organic)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- Mix dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt) together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl (or using a handheld or stand mixer), whip the butter until smooth and creamy
- Mix the egg, date syrup, and vanilla into the butter until smooth.
- Starting with 1 cup, add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. (The batter is super thick right now – doesn’t look anything like your typical carrot cake batter!)
- Fold the applesauce and shredded carrots into the batter until combined.
- Divide batter into 12 muffin cups. (I highly recommend silicone liners, but you could probably use paper, foil, or a greased muffin tin.) *These muffins don’t really grow while they’re cooking, so you can either make 15 medium muffins, or 12 overstuffed muffins. They won’t explode everywhere!
- Bake for 22-24 minutes on 350 degrees F.
- Category: Baked Goods, Dessert, Breakfast