Per Serving: $1.11
Here are the last ten smoothies. Dude. Go to Trader Joe's and buy yourself some frozen mango. It's $2.69 for 24 oz and it's awesome in the smoothies. The smoothie with coconut and mango was the absolute best so far.
January Smoothie Challenge
- DAY 11: spinach, banana, strawberries, water
- DAY 12: spinach, banana, strawberries, water
- DAY 13: spinach, banana, strawberries, water
- DAY 14: spinach, banana, frozen mango, coconut milk (¼ cup), water
- DAY 15: spinach, banana, frozen mango, coconut milk (¼ cup), water
- DAY 16: spinach, ½ banana, frozen mango, kiwi (2), water
- DAY 17: spinach, ½ banana, frozen mango, water, flaxseed
- DAY 18: spinach, ½ banana, strawberries, frozen blueberries, kiwi (1), water
- DAY 19: spinach, ½ banana, strawberries, frozen blueberries, water
- DAY 20: spinach, banana, frozen blueberries, water
We bought a can of Thai organic coconut milk for $1.99 to make soup, and used the leftovers in the smoothies. It was AWESOME. So that's real, creamy, thick coconut milk from the ethnic section, not the Tetra Pak stuff you find in the dairy-free section.
- organic strawberries: $4.99
- bananas (8 total, 19 cents each): $1.60
- 1 lb organic spinach: $4.99
- 12oz bag spinach $1.99
- frozen mango: $2.69
- organic frozen blueberries: $3.99
- kiwi (3): $1
- coconut milk (½ can): $1
Well, we didn't get much cheaper this time around, BUT we definitely had more organic produce and we have a bit of spinach leftover for the next round.
Total = $22.25. $2.22 per batch or $1.11 per smoothie
So I really wanted to have a tighter budget for this time around, but with moving into our new apartment (yay!), and missing the farmer's market again (boo), and an overall urgency to stop by the store around the corner to make sure we have a leafy green instead of getting it where it's cheaper...we didn't do anything too drastic with the budget.
We've already bought quite a bit of produce for the next few days - frozen mango and organic blueberries again, plus bananas and some local Carlsbad strawberries. For the last ten days, my goal is to get the cost to $1 or less per smoothie. Let's see how it goes!
Check out the the first ten days of the green smoothie challenge.