Per Serving: $1
5-INGREDIENTS, 5-MINUTES: BLACK BEAN AVOCADO SALAD. DO IT.
Avocados are cheap in San Diego, hence the two avocado posts in one week. They’re also cheap in Mexico and Peru. Basically I only go places that have cheap avocados, partially because of this salad.
Back in the day when I worked at an office with a fridge and microwave and such, I used to pack this salad several times a month. These days I cook the beans from dry and even make the salsa from scratch, but the recipe is otherwise the same. And it’s delicious. Feta cheese is pretty similar in flavor to cotija cheese, which is a traditional Mexican cheese, so it is perfect for this flavor combination. Perfect, I tell ya.
Wrap it up in a homemade whole wheat tortilla or toss it over some greens for a veggie-packed salad. It’s also delicious mixed with mango salsa when tropical fruits are in season again!Just make sure you eat it.
Also – I’m finally on FACEBOOK! So if you feel like giving me a friendly “LIKE” over there, I wouldn’t hate it. Wouldn’t hate that at all.Print
- 1 can black beans (about 2 cups)
- 2 avocados, chopped into chunks
- 4 oz feta cheese
- lime wedges + cilantro for garnish
- optional greens (arugula, mesclun)
- Drain the liquid from the can of black beans (You could also make the beans from dry, which is significantly cheaper.)
- Divide the beans between four bowls, or atop four bowls of salad greens.
- Top with salsa, chopped avocados, feta, and optional cilantro, and squeeze a lime wedge over the salad.
- *NOTE: If avocados aren’t cheap in your area, you could still get by with either no avo or by splitting 1 avocado among the 4 salads. I used two small ones and it was more than enough!
- Category: Salad