Per Serving: $0.71
I've been craving chocolate milkshakes in a bad way lately. While in Baja with my family last week, we kept talking about chocolate malts, which was a family favorite growing up. I can remember feeling personally offended when a friend came over and wasn't interested in a chocolate malt. WAS NOT INTERESTED. My mom made them with good old Carnation malted milk, cheap-o vanilla ice cream, and loads of Hershey's syrup.
It's been a long long time since I've had that delicious sugar bomb, but as I've said before - I'm a chocolate fiend. One thought of some sort of chocolatey baked or blended thing and I'm like: must.make.now. Hence this chocolate banana milkshake. I'd thrown some chopped ripe bananas in the freezer a few weeks ago with plans for a banana peanut butter shake, but chocolate won out and kicked the PB to the curb. It's not that I don't love peanut butter, but I didn't want too many flavors competing with my chocolate.
This banana chocolate milkshake is absolutely delicious - but it is no substitute for a super sweet chocolate malt. It's best you know that now. For me, it was perfect for satisfying my craving, and didn't make me feel a) crazy in the head, as too much sugar sometimes does or b) super full and bloated. I fully intended on taking additional photos, but this shake and I had a date with the beach.
Also - you can easily make this Paleo by using coconut milk instead of whole milk!Print
- 2 frozen bananas (1.5 cups)
- 1/2 cup organic whole milk
- 1.5 Tablespoons dark cocoa powder
- 1.5 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 ice cubes (1/2 cup)
- Add the banana and milk to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Meanwhile, mix the cocoa powder and maple syrup together until it forms a “wet” chocolate syrup. Add the vanilla and stir well. Then add this syrup to the blender and continue blending until combined.
- At this point, the shake will be super thick with a soft-serve/smoothie consistency, to make it a little more like a milkshake (and to keep it cold), add about 1/2 a cup of ice cubes and blend well. Serve in hipster Mason jars or stick a straw in the blender and slurp it up!
- Prep Time: 8 mins
- Category: Drink, Dessert