Recipe: $6.03 | Per Serving: $1.51 | Yield: 4
Let's make one of the easiest, most delicious weeknight dinners, which cooks in about 25 minutes. This ground turkey salsa skillet is a complete meal with vegetables, beans, sweet potatoes, and ground turkey. And it is perfect for meat eaters who are looking for ways to save a little money by combining ground meat with beans!
This recipe is going to take you by surprise. You may or may not know how delicious the combination of sweet potatoes and black beans is, you may not realize how much flavor just a few tablespoons of salsa can provide, and you may have no idea that in fact, the simplest spice combo for that American taco vibe is actually oregano, cumin, and red pepper flakes. YOU'RE WELCOME.
I have made numerous versions of this recipe and while it is more of a lunch / dinner type of thing, I can personally attest to its versatility. Pop an egg on top and let the gooey yolk co-mingle happily with the other flavors. Or skip the egg and enjoy as is.
You may ask why I'm publishing this in mid-November when everything is holiday foods - but friends, we still need to eat the rest of the days leading up to Thanksgiving and other upcoming holidays. And a 25-minute skillet meal is just the ticket when you're frazzled with other holiday responsibilities and chaos.
For this recipe you need:
- vegetables - onions, bell pepper, spinach, sweet potatoes
- black beans
- ground turkey
- spices (cumin, oregano, red pepper flakes)
- avocado for topping
- chips and more salsa for serving!
Vegetarian: No, but you can omit the turkey and increase the black beans.
Paleo: Not with the beans! You can easily omit the beans and increase the turkey.
Ground Turkey and Vegetable Salsa Skillet
- 1 Tablespoon oil of choice
- 1 small onion small diced
- 1 small bell pepper small diced
- 1 cup diced sweet potato small diced
- 8 ounces ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes more to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can black beans drained (about 1.75 cups)
- ½ cup medium salsa
- ¾ cup water
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- 1 avocado lime wedges, cilantro
- 4 servings chips or tortillas
- Cut your vegetables into a "small dice" which is about ¼ inch cubes. (See above pictures for examples.)
- Melt about a Tablespoon of your oil of choice in a medium sized skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, bell peppers, and sweet potatoes and sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Make a bit of a well in the center and add the ground turkey, all the spices (cumin, oregano, red pepper flakes), and about half of the salt. Brown the turkey on all sides, which should take about 5 minutes.
- Add the black beans, salsa, and water. Stir well, cover, and cook for about 10 minutes. After about 10 minutes, the sweet potatoes should be cooked through (check with a fork), and the water should be mostly evaporated. If the potatoes need a little more time, feel free to add a little more water and cook a few more minutes.
- Add the chopped spinach to the skillet and cover to wilt, which should only take 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with avocado, lime, cilantro, and chips or tortillas.