Recipe: $7.11 | Per Serving: $3.55 | Yield: 2
I love a snacky kind of no-cook meal, and this is one of my favorites! Take rich and fatty canned mackerel, pair it with tangy red wine vinegar, and you have the main dish for an easy no-cook light meal or snack. And what a great opportunity to eat the rainbow. This is perfect for an at-home meal or to pack into a lunchbox.
All you have to do is pair rich, fatty, delicious canned mackerel with tangy red wine vinegar, and serve it with your favorite crackers and raw veggies.
Canned meats and fish aren't usually the first thing we think of for a food blog recipe, but canned mackerel is one of my favorite easy protein sources! I love adding it to my mediterranean chickpea salad, or jazzing it up with red wine vinegar and eating it on crackers, like here.
This recipe is barely a recipe. Here's what you do:
- open a can of mackerel and break the fillets into smaller pieces, then mix with red wine vinegar
- put hummus in a small dish
- wash, slice, and assemble your favorite raw vegetables
- add crackers and enjoy!
Variations and add-ins:
- add in a little dried oregano to the mackerel
- swap out the veggies for your own favorite raw vegetables - sliced radishes, sliced cucumbers, celery, cauliflower, broccoli, endives, etc.
- top the mackerel with crumbled feta cheese
- upgrade your hummus to an herby green hummus or swap it for magic green sauce
- add a second can of mackerel to make this a more substantial meal
- olives pair well here and give it more of a mediterranean flare
- fruit! get your blue/purple/black color category by adding purple grapes, blueberries, or blackberries
Paleo: without the crackers, yep!
Vegetarian: nope, but it is Pescetarian
PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER!
Spruce up a basic can of mackerel with a dash of red wine vinegar and serve it alongside colorful vegetables, hummus, and crackers for an easy, no-cook light meal or snack.
- 1 can of mackerel (4.4 oz, canned in olive oil or water)
- 4 teaspoons of red wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/3 cup hummus (homemade or store bought)
- 1/2 a red bell pepper
- 1/2 a yellow bell pepper
- 1-2 medium carrots
- 1 cup of snap peas
- 2 servings of crackers
- Optional: microgreens for garnish
- Open a can of mackerel and break the filets up in a bowl. Add red wine vinegar and olive oil (I use the oil from the can if they're canned in olive oil). Stir well and set aside.
- Wash the vegetables. Remove the seeds and stem from the bell peppers and slice into strips. Scrub the carrots and slice into sticks.
- Place the hummus in a small serving dish.
- Arrange the vegetables, crackers, and dishes of mackerel and hummus on a plate and serve!
- Prep Time: 5
- Category: Light Meal
- Method: No Cook
Keywords: canned mackerel, gluten free, rainbow vegetables