Recipe: $3.76 | Per Serving: $0.94 | Yield: 4
Something magical happens to cauliflower when you roast it in the oven for 30+ minutes. And then pair that magical cauliflower with some cumin and lime and cayenne and black beans and tortillas and you have the easiest ever super delicious vegan tacos!
This recipe was originally published in August of 2016. The photos and text have been updated, but the recipe is the same. Enjoy!
This easy taco recipe is incredibly simple, and perfect for weeknight dinners! Many of these ingredients can be stored in the pantry or freezer, including the salsa, beans, tortillas, and frozen cauliflower.
Cauliflower is one of the best roasted vegetables. Because of its low sugar content, roasted cauliflower gets so crispy and flavorful without tasting bitter or burnt.
I remember the first time we "overcooked" cauliflower and discovered that it takes a lot of forgotten minutes in the oven for it to be ruined.
How to Make Roasted Cauliflower Tacos
There are just two main steps to making easy roasted cauliflower and black bean vegan tacos!
- Roast cauliflower.
- Cook black beans with onions. You can mash them a little if you want!
Make sure you roast the cauliflower until it's starting to get at least a little charred. I'd say anywhere in the 35-60 minute time frame should work. (And if you want to learn more about cauliflower, check out this video!)
Definitely sauté some onions to go with the black beans, and go nuts with the lime juice and salsa.
Add whatever your favorite toppings are, but I always love salsa and avocado!
Remember, beans, frozen cauliflower, corn tortillas, and salsa can all live in your freezer or pantry for an extended period of time, so it's a great back pocket kind of recipe. Keep these items on hand for emergencies and you won't be disappointed!
Paleo: You could replace the corn tortillas with lettuce wraps and replace the black beans with ground beef for pretty simple Paleo tacos.
PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER!Print
Make every night taco night with these easy cauliflower tacos with just a handful of ingredients!
- 1.5 pounds frozen cauliflower (thawed, or steamed from fresh)
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon each cumin, cayenne, garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1.5 cups cooked black beans (or about 1 15-ounce can)
- 16 tortillas or Bibb lettuce leaves
- garnish: cilantro, avocado, salsa
- Pile the cauliflower onto a lined baking sheet and sprinkle with the oil, lime juice, cumin, cayenne, garlic powder, and salt. Toss well to coat and spread out on the sheet. Roast on 400ºF for about 45 minutes, or until the edges are slightly charred.
- Meanwhile, chop the onion in small bits and sauté over medium-low heat. Add the black beans and a sprinkle of salt and stir well to marry the flavors.
- Warm the tortillas with your preferred method (stovetop, oven, microwave). I usually just toast each one on both sides in a dry skillet. Place 4 tortillas on each of 4 plates and add the black beans, the cauliflower, and your toppings of choice to each tortilla. Enjoy these tacos while they're hot and fresh!
Optional garnishes: queso fresco, cotija, or feta cheese, salsa or sriracha, avocado, cilantro, more lime juice, etc.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins