Recipe: $2.65 | Per Serving: $0.22 | Yield: 12 Biscuits
You guys remember those garlic biscuits from Red Lobster, right? These are way better (and healthier) than the Red Lobster version. And they're so super easy to make! If you're looking for some delicious bread to hit the table, you can't go wrong with this recipe!
When I was growing up we made awesome cheddar garlic biscuits using a recipe from the Bisquick cookbook - and adding a lot more cheese and garlic than was called for. I wanted to recreate those old biscuits with easy ingredients and whole wheat flour.
How to Make Homemade Whole Wheat Cheddar Garlic Biscuits
Basically, you mix together some of the best things in the world (cheese, butter, garlic), and bake them into easy drop biscuits.
- whole wheat flour
- cheddar (I like Trader Joe's Unexpected Cheddar, but any will do
- milk, buttermilk, or yogurt
If using a homemade buttermilk, you'll want to add vinegar to the milk, but it isn't 100% necessary. Once you melt the butter, you can basically combine all the ingredients and then they're ready to be baked!
Make these and then toss them in your lunch box for the next day! They're best hot, but also good at room temperature.
PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER!
Whole Wheat Cheddar Garlic Biscuits
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup buttermilk or yogurt (skip vinegar)
- 1 stick butter 113 grams
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- If using homemade buttermilk, combine the milk and the vinegar and set aside for about 5-10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, cayenne, and dried parsley. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a small sauce pan and add minced garlic. Cook over very low heat for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add buttermilk (or yogurt).
- Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients. Stir to combine and then gently stir in the cheddar cheese.
- Drop just under ¼ cup-size biscuits onto parchment-lined baking sheet.Bake for 12 minutes on 475ºF.