Recipe: $1.52 | Per Serving: $0.25 | Yield: 6 servings / ~1 cup
Avocado is everyone's best friend, right? How about avocado sauce for salads, burgers, french fries, and vegetables? Yep, it's awesome.
I know that there's a really serious #snowzilla happening in the NY/VA/MD area where most of my family lives, but that doesn't mean you can't have avocado yogurt sauce. You can, I promise. This is the perfect sauce to help you lighten things up after a snowed-in weekend of heavy warm wintery foods. A light lentil salad, or even a Lentil-Turkey Burger! It is something I also eat with a spoon...so there's that.
Just whip it up in your food processor and store it in the fridge for later. I'm a big fan of using flavorful sauces to enhance plain-yet-affordable ingredients. For example: use this recipe to make an easy lentil salad, which is basically lentils, avocado sauce, and red onion. So easy! So filling! It's also a great dip for roasted kabocha squash, and can be mixed with tuna fish or shredded chicken for a sandwich.
Look at that lentil salad just waiting to be smothered in avocado goodness.
Avocado Yogurt Sauce and Dressing
For the Sauce:
- 1 medium avocado ripe
- ¼ cup yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 ½ Tablespoons lemon juice from about ½ a lemon
- a handful of cilantro or basil optional
For the Salad:
- 2 cups cooked lentils
- ½ medium onion chopped into small pieces
- pinch salt
- 2-4 cups salad greens
- For the Sauce: Add the avocado, yogurt, salt, garlic, and lemon juice to a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth! Add milk water if you want to thin it out a bit. Toss in some cilantro or basil or parsley for fresh flavor and color.
- For the Salad: Mix together the lentils, minced red onion, and a pinch of salt. Add the avocado yogurt sauce and toss well. Serve over salad greens. (Salad serves 4)
Leave a Reply