Recipe: $2 | Per Serving: $1.00 | Yield: 2
Naan is one of my favorite homemade breads. It’s so easy and almost fail-proof! I’m not really into making finicky foods, even if I love eating them. So, it’s probably no surprise that pizza is basically my favorite go-to we’re-out-of-food meal. I usually keep some dough in the freezer, but even that takes some forethought to defrost. Which is why Naan Flatbread Pizza is awesome. It’s pizza crust! Ready for toppings! And while we’re discussing possible pizza bases, might I also recommend Trader Joe’s Whole Wheat Pitas and their Whole Wheat Lavash? Also awesome.
So this recipe is super easy. Flatbread + ricotta + roasted vegetables. I love using ricotta cheese in place of tomato sauce, and topping it with some of my favorite roasted or sautéed vegetables. (PS – You can make ricotta at home using whole milk!! Really, it works!) This time around I really wanted to use asparagus, because it goes great with ricotta and roasted red peppers, but it was over $2 for FOUR STALKS of asparagus! Insanity! I got a head of broccoli for 75 cents and used about a third of it for this recipe instead. I love roasted broccoli, but I highly recommend asparagus for this recipe if you’ve got it.
As for the peppers: use what you’ve got! I love roasted bell peppers on pizza because they add a delicious sweetness that goes great with cheese. BUT, you can totally use fresh if you want. I happened to have 3 roasted orange bell peppers in my freezer from summer so I used one of those. You can skip the roasting step and just use fresh bell peppers if that’s what you’ve got!
NY2016 resolution: eat more vegetables? Check! ✓Print
Easy outline for roasted vegetable flatbread pizza with ricotta cheese! Yum!
- 1/4 red onion, sliced into wedges
- 2 cups broccoli, sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large pieces naan, or flatbread, or lavash, or 4–6 pitas
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 clove garlic, minced or grated
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 roasted bell pepper, sliced
- sprinkle of salt and pepper
- optional: parmesan cheese for topping
- Slice the onions and broccoli and toss with the olive oil. Roast on 475ºF for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together the ricotta cheese, minced garlic, and red pepper flakes. Place flatbread on baking sheet or pizza stone. Spread ricotta mixture over flatbread.
- When veggies are ready, arrange on flatbread and top with roasted bell pepper slices. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. (And optional Parmesan cheese.) Bake on sheet, pizza stone, or directly on wire rack for 8 minutes on 425ºF.
Consider swapping out the broccoli for asparagus. And, to save time, you can use a fresh bell pepper instead of roasted bell peppers. In this case, slice the pepper thinly and cook it with the vegetables in step 1.