Recipe: $5 | Per Serving: $0.83 | Yield: 6
This is one of the very few meals that I make over and over. After a year of making it so frequently, I have a lot of changes I’ve made on those nights when I want something a little faster, or when we have unexpected company and not a lot to eat. Aside from the pineapple, I keep all of these ingredients in my house at all times, so it’s easy to pull together. I even have a quick-rise whole wheat sandwich bun recipe specifically for this meal!
When I originally posted this recipe several months ago, I’d made a somewhat time-intensive version, but that’s just not in the cards for everyone all the time, and this simpler version tastes just as good. This version takes under an hour, with hands-off simmer time as well. If you decide to cook the lentils separately, you can probably shave another 20 minutes off the cook time. The vegetables you toss in there are not nearly as important as the intense flavors of pineapple, soy sauce, and tomato, so don’t skip that trio!
So, without further ado: EXPRESS Hawaiian Sloppy Joe Lentils. (Again, this is originally adapted from Chef Chloe’s recipe.)
Easy and delicious, this one-pot vegan Hawaiian lentil dish is perfect for weeknight dinners!
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 carrots, shredded (1.5 cups)
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 1.5 cups unsalted broth or water
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste + 1 cup water
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, black pepper to taste
- 2 cups chopped greens (spinach, kale, swiss chard, etc.)
- Start with quickly sautéing your onions for 3-5 minutes, then add the minced garlic and bell peppers for another 3 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add shredded carrots, lentils, and 1.5 cups broth or water. Simmer covered on low for about 10 minutes, until all water is absorbed.
- Add the tomato paste and 1 more cup of water and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients – pineapple, vinegar, soy sauce, spices, and chopped greens. (You can also add diced zucchini or any other vegetables you’ve got on hand.) Simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure it doesn’t stick! Add more water if necessary.
- If serving on toasted whole wheat buns, wait about 5-10 minutes before serving. Can also be served as stew!
I prefer this as a stew, with a salad on the side, but you can also serve this on toasted buns for a vegan sloppy joe.
Optional: Stir in 1/2 cup hemp seeds for additional protein!
- Category: Sandwich, Vegan
- Method: Stovetop
Keywords: lentils, pineapple lentils, hawaiian lentils, vegan lentils