Recipe: $5.53 | Per Serving: $0.92 | Yield: 6*
Pasta pasta pasta! It’s basically always delicious, but you know what makes it EXTRA delicious? Lemon. Like this Lemon Garlic Linguine. It’s super simple to throw together, and it’s got green beans! And optional Parmesan, and optional basil…or perhaps you’d rather go straight for the pesto? By all means, be my guest. This pasta dish is your template.
Also, this dish has two types of beans: green beans and white beans. I didn’t want to spell it out in the post title though. The green beans are definitely a MUST, but you can skip the white beans if you’re not feeling it. I added them for protein, and because they’re great with lemon and garlic, but you can serve this with rotisserie chicken instead or whatever protein you prefer.
*The box says this is 7 servings of pasta, and some people would probably divide this into just 5 servings. It was at least 6 servings for us, so that’s what I’m using here.
Question: did anyone else have a crazy whirlwind of a weekend? Because our 4th of July weekend was supposed to be a nice, long, 5-ish day weekend spent in Maine that ended up being a 3-day trip to Maine with a total of 23 hours driving time. For about 43 hours in Maine. When we moved to the East coast I was like “So many friends/states/attractions are so close and easy,” but then driving on Fourth of July weekend has made me second guess everything I ever thought I knew about traffic and travel times. Combined with work schedules that didn’t allow us to take our desired 1-2 extra days off and BAM. That trip happened. But sometimes you just HAVE to catch up with friends you haven’t seen in 2+ years due to living abroad/across the country. I’m glad we did it, traffic and all.
We got home around 8pm on Monday night, I made some couscous with frozen pesto and sautéed swiss chard that we bought at a random roadside stand in Massachusetts when we stopped for lunch. Packed my lunch for Tuesday and went straight to bed. Sorry, no time for catching up on blog things, but we are back in business now! Hence the delicious Lemon-Garlic Linguine you’re about to whip up for dinner. If you’ve got a basil plant that survived the weekend, I definitely recommend tossing some basil in there, and if you’re not dairy-free, the Parmesan is a great addition as well. Go nuts!
Paleo: Swap out the noodles for your favorite grain-free noodle option. Spaghetti squash?
- 1 box whole wheat linguine (12-16 ounces)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic
- zest of 1 lemon (1–2 Tablespoons)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 pound green beans
- 1 can white beans
- juice of 1 lemon (4 Tablespoons)
- optional: basil, Parmesan cheese, pesto
- In a large pot, boil water and cook pasta until al dente, about 6 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Using the flat part of a knife, smash each piece of garlic just a little. Slice them into round, thin slices.
- In a large saucepan, warm 4 Tablespoons olive oil over low-medium heat, and cook the garlic about 30 seconds – 1 minute, or until a bit soft but not burnt. Add the salt, lemon zest, the green beans, and 1/4 cup of water. Cover and cook until beans are soft and water is mostly evaporated, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the white beans. Dump the drained pasta into the sauce pan and stir to coat well. Pour in the lemon juice and stir, then top with pepper to taste. Optional: add fresh basil and/or Parmesan cheese. Or stir in some pesto!