Crispy potatoes, tender asparagus, and flavorful tilapia?
We were fortunate in Peru to have very affordable tilapia and asparagus. Asparagus never seemed to go out of season there, so it was one of our main go-to vegetables. This post is less of a recipe and more of a very simple complete meal.
If you can get sustainably caught fish, any white fish will do here. Tilapia is a favorite because it has a great texture and a very subtle taste. Those little cocktail potatoes are my favorite for roasting. Although they're a little more work to clean, the end result is amazing. You could also use regular potatoes, or fingerlings.
This was a very simple, go-to dish for us when we had no classes to teach on a Friday night, and our FAVORITE meal!It takes about 50 minutes from start to finish.
For two people, this meal cost us about $5 - so that's $2.50 per person. I haven't made tilapia in the states since we've been back, but I know it is about $7.99 a pound and you want either one large filet or two small filets, which will probably be ¼-1/2 a pound for this recipe. For making this in the states, I estimate it will cost about $8-$10 for two people.
Roasted Tilapia, Potatoes, & Asparagus
- 1 Tilapia Filets
- 1 bunch asparagus
- ½ pound cocktail potatoes
- 1 clove garlic minced
- olive oil
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ¼ lemon juiced
- 2 pinches salt
- 2 pinches pepper
- Wash cocktail potatoes and cut in half. If some are large, cut in quarters to ensure they’re all about the same size.
- Drizzle olive oil in the bottom of a roasting pan, casserole dish, or baking sheet (with sides). Add potatoes, minced garlic, red pepper flakes, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix well with spoon or hands, and spread flat.
- Roast in 400-degree oven for approximately 45 minutes. (Checking occasionally & flipping if necessary.)
- Prepare another baking dish or sheet that is large enough for the tilapia and asparagus.
- Drizzle baking dish with olive oil. Season tilapia with lemon juice, then add salt, pepper, and cayenne, and place in baking dish. After the potatoes have been cooking for 20 minutes, place tilapia in oven, and remove after 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, rinse asparagus and break off tough ends. (Discard ends or save for making stock later.) Drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper. In the last ten minutes of cooking time for the tilapia, place asparagus in the same baking dish, and bake for 10 minutes on 400 degrees fahrenheit.