Recipe: $8.45 | Per Serving: $2.11 | Yield: 4 | Jump to Recipe
If you want a salad that is packed with flavor, is filling and satisfying, and will be crunchy and delicious come lunchtime, this is the salad for you. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for some simple greens with a really beautiful dressing, but sometimes you want something more substantial.
Shredded pork salad with spicy cilantro habanero dressing, roasted sweet potatoes, and some cabbage for crunch awaits.
There are four main components to this dish:
- slow cooker shredded pork
- roasted sweet potatoes
- spicy cilantro dressing
- greens + crunchy cabbage
This is not the salad you toss together in 5 minutes – you have to roast the sweet potatoes, and get your hands on some shredded pork, which is easy enough to make in a slow cooker, but does tend to take all day.
I’ve yet to see high quality ready-made shredded pork, so if you’re trying to make this in a pinch, I’d recommend going for shredded dark meat chicken. You can make that pretty quickly (or use a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken), and dark meat is best because you really want some fat to complement the potatoes and dressing.
You will be so happy if you make this! And be sure to tag @frugalnutrition if you do!
Vegetarian: No – but you could try some sort of shredded jackfruit instead?
PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER ↓
This delicious salad is the perfect mealtime salad! Packed with tons of flavor, you’ve got a complete meal of fat, fiber, and protein here. This one is a family favorite, and I promise you will not be disappointed!
- Heat oven to 425F.
- Cut the sweet potato into large cubes, approximately 1-inch bites. Toss with oil, salt, pepper, and any additional spices of choice (ex: garlic, cumin, oregano).
- Roast at 425F for approximately 20-25 minutes or until cooked through and starting to brown.
- Optional: using a skillet on medium heat, warm up the pork until it starts to get a little crispy, about 5-10 minutes. (Alternatively you can just warm it in the oven or in the microwave.
- To assemble salads: Toss cabbage with about 1/3 of the dressing. Then assemble salads with greens, cabbage, shredded pork, and sweet potatoes, and drizzle with more dressing for serving.
- Category: Salad