Recipe: $3.60 | Per Serving: $0.30 | Yield: 12
Dark cocoa powder pairs with the nutty and buttery flavor of toasted pecans, the rich molasses flavor of fresh Medjool dates, and a hearty dose of hemp seeds for protein and healthy fat in these Dark Chocolate Pecan Date Bite Truffles!
According to my Instagram followers, about 35% of people are over it when it comes to date bites, but for the other 65% of us who are still into them, THIS recipe is for you!
I have been making some version of these for years, and my nutrition clients/patients are quite familiar with this recipe recommendation - it's a great way to get your chocolate fix from real food. This is like a desserty style snack that's more filling than a piece of candy, and a really great option for Bento Boxes!
5 Ingredient Chocolate Truffles - what you need:
- hemp seeds
- cocoa powder
- vanilla extract
- (...and salt!)
That's it! They're super rich and chocolatey and delicious. I like to toss them in my bento box / snack box for lunch.
Why Hemp Seeds?
Hemp seeds are one of my favorite additions to date bites, and a great source of plant-based protein. Three tablespoons contain 10 grams of protein! They're also a good source of vitamin E and healthy fats, and contain the omega-3 precursor ALA.
Plus, they're mild in flavor and can easily be combined with other foods.
Other delicious Date Bite recipes:
✨ PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER! ☺️
*I did want to note that Trader Joe's carries pecans, hemp seeds, and Medjool dates for about half of what I've seen elsewhere, including on Thrive Market . This is priced by what I purchased at Trader Joe's, and, as always, may be more expensive based on your local availability.
Vegetarian: Yep! And Vegan
Chocolate Pecan Date Bite Truffles
- 1 cup pecans
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- ¾ cup dates pits removed (Medjool tend to be the juiciest) equals about 7 large Medjool dates, or approx 4-5 oz w/o the pits
- 1 ½ Tablespoons cocoa powder Equal Exchange, Hershey's Special Dark, etc.
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- If needed: 1-2 Tablespoons water to help blend
- Tip: if your dates are hard or old, you can soak them in warm water for about 3-5 minutes prior to using to help them blend better. Any longer and they will absorb too much water and your date bite truffles will be VERY sticky.
- Add pecans to a small saucepan and warm over low heat. Toast for about 3-4 minutes, watching closely to ensure they don't burn. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large food processor, add all ingredients except the water and the hemp seeds.
- Process and/or pulse until the ingredients get a bit crumbly but stay together when pressed. If it doesn't seem like it is coming together, add a bit of water, about 2 teaspoons at a time. Add the hemp seeds and pulse a few times.
- Note: you can add the hemp seeds earlier to make it easier, but it can make the dough a bit crumbly.
- Using a spoon or a scooper, divide the dough into roughly 1-Tablespoon balls, then squeeze and roll between your hands to smooth out. If it doesn't stay together, add a touch of warm water and mix again!