Easy one-pan meals like this ground beef and cabbage recipe are how I get through my week. Made with simple ingredients, it's on the table in less than thirty minutes and you can serve four people for less than $8.
Recipe: $7.55 | Per Serving: $1.89 | Yield: 4
This recipe was originally published in October of 2016 and has been recently updated in December of 2022. Please enjoy more clarity and step-by-step photos!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
This recipe is one of the super simple ways I've learned to use one of the world's cheapest vegetables. With a little love from a bit of ginger and soy sauce, a few simple ingredients become an easy and delicious dinner.
I'm pretty certain you will love it too! Here's why:
- Super simple
- Super affordable
- Super delicious
It's one of those perfect one-pan wonders, like 4-Ingredient Coconut Chickpeas with Tomatoes and Greens. A few flavorful ingredients and a meal well done.
If you love cooking with cabbage, you might also enjoy this unstuffed cabbage casserole or this purple cabbage slaw with tuna.
Beef and cabbage stir fry is made using simple, easy ingredients. Let's look at the highlights.
- Ground beef: Any ratio of fat content will work if you opt for those with more fat, you can drain off the excess fat if desired. You can also use ground turkey or chicken too.
- Aromatics: Onion, garlic, and ginger add lots of flavor to the dish. Be sure to use fresh cloves of garlic and fresh ginger root
- Green cabbage: I usually make this recipe with regular ol' green cabbage but after my time in Japan, I enjoy with a wide variety of cabbages.
- Soy sauce: A simple pantry staple that adds a boost of flavor to this dish.
- Red pepper flakes: For a bit of spice, feel free to adjust to your own tastes!
For the full list of ingredients, check the recipe card further down on the page.
How to Make Ground Beef and Cabbage Stir Fry
This quick and easy dinner goes together in just a few simple steps. Detailed instructions are in the recipe card.
- Place the beef in a large pan and season it with a little salt and brown on all sides.
- Add the onions and sauté about five minutes or until the onions are softened.
- Add the minced garlic and ginger and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add the cabbage, soy sauce, and red pepper flakes to the skillet.
- Stir fry until the cabbage is wilted and soft. Serve it up on its own or over some brown rice. Enjoy!
How to Store
Leftovers: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days or you can freeze it for up to three months. Thaw it out overnight in the fridge before reheating.
Reheat: Return the cabbage and beef to a skillet and cook over medium high heat until heated through.
What to Serve with Beef and Cabbage
My favorite way to eat this is with a little brown rice and just a dash of Sriracha for extra heat. Here are some other serving ideas to consider.
- Top it with a fried or hard boiled egg.
- Serve it over regular, rice noodles, or soba noodles instead of rice.
- Want more veggies? Serve it up over cauliflower rice or zucchini noodles!
- Try it out with a scallion pancake for a complete meal!
- Add some tasty garnishes! Diced green onions, sesame seeds or some sliced chilies.
Expert Tips and FAQs
- Have ingredients you want to use up? Add mushrooms, snow peas, carrots, bean sprouts and cook with the cabbage.
- Need to save time? Swap out the whole cabbage for a bag of coleslaw to skip the chopping.
- Prep all your ingredients in advance and have them ready close to your cooking area.
While not the most popular or attractive vegetable, adding cabbage to your diet does have some health benefits. It's full of nutrients such as fiber, vitamin C, vitamin K, potassium and more! Plus it boosts immunity and is full of antioxidants that fight inflammation. While the fiber promotes healthy digestion.
Paleo: Replace the soy sauce with coconut aminos (or even gluten-free tamari for just gluten-free), and you're good to go.
Vegetarian: I would assume that the cabbage without the beef would still be delicious, and you could pair it with your favorite protein source, like tofu or tempeh.
More Easy Dinner Recipes
Did you like this recipe? If so, please take a moment and give it a 5-Star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ review and leave a comment further below! Don't forget to follow me on Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, and Pinterest for more delicious recipes!
Ground Beef and Cabbage Stir Fry
- 1 pound grass-fed ground beef like Moink
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ medium onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 Tablespoons freshly minced ginger
- 1 head green cabbage about 10-12 cups shredded
- 2 Tablespoons tamari or gluten-free soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- optional: green onion for garnish
- 1 cup brown rice + 2 cups water
- Heat a large pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add the beef, season with a little salt, and brown on all sides, stirring to break up the meat. If using extra lean beef, you may need a little oil in the pan.
- Meanwhile, chop up an onion into medium dice. Once beef is mostly browned, add the diced onions and sauté about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the minced garlic and ginger and cook for another 30 seconds, then add the cabbage, soy sauce, and red pepper flakes. Stir fry (uncovered) until cabbage is wilted and soft.
- Remove from heat. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon sesame oil and sprinkle with chopped green onion for serving.
- Enjoy as is or with brown rice.
- For brown rice: prepare in rice cooker if available, or follow package instructions. Add 1 cup uncooked brown rice to a large pot with 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook about 40 minutes. Remove from heat (without removing lid!), and set aside to steam for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.
Leave a Reply