Per Serving: $0.79
This is the best thing I’ve made in several weeks. It is a burrito bowl, and it is kind of perfect.
I mean, I know that burritos are one of the world’s most perfect foods, but I can’t manage to make large enough whole wheat tortillas most of the time, and I try to keep the purchased tortillas to a minimum, and also this is so delicious that you definitely won’t miss the tortilla. I think this is something like the Bols you can get at Chipotle, but I rarely go there, so I couldn’t tell you exactly. I can tell you that this is delicious! The chicken is super tender, and flavorful and awesome. In other news, Happy New Year! That holiday is coming up hot, so be safe and have fun. I’m not one for resolutions, but I WILL be making big changes with a cross-globe move to Japan! It’s coming in the end of January, and I have less than a month to complete my preparations! Ah! Do they have slow cookers?Print
- 1/2 pound chicken (dark meat for the win!)
- 1/2 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jar salsa (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup water or stock
- 1 can black beans (2–2.5 cups cooked beans)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- salt, pepper
- optional toppings: cheese, avocado, cilantro, tomato, lettuce, lime
- Roughly chop onion and place in bottom of slow cooker. Add chicken thighs and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.
- In another bowl, mix together the remaining ingredients and add to slow cooker. You want the chicken mostly covered. (If you use white meat chicken, you probably want to add a little more liquid to cover them completely.)
- Cook on low for 6 hours, or as long as 10 hours. Shred with a fork, and serve over cooked rice with a bunch of delicious toppings.
- Note: If you have a rice cooker with a steamer, just toss the rice in there when you get home, and fill the steamer with vegetables. Super easy complete meal!
- Category: Entree, Make Ahead