Recipe: $11.20 | Per Serving: $2.80 | Yield: 4
Make way for an easy weeknight sheet pan dinner that takes approximately 30 minutes, two sheet pans, and no cutting board!
We are always trying to balance taste, convenience, price, and nutrition – I consider these four things for every single recipe I post on this blog. The perfect balance of these is kind of a unicorn, but I think this is pretty close to the center of that four-part Venn Diagram.
This sheet pan chicken and vegetables recipe is:
- super tasty – hello chicken thighs and roasted broccoli
- very simple – using pre-cut vegetables! just a few ingredients!
- affordable – not the cheapest, but pretty decent
- nutrient-dense! TWO different vegetables, protein, and fat
It’s also a lighter meal. I love using this recipe for meal prep, to pair with random vegetables, or when you’re coming home from a trip to an empty fridge. You only need a few ingredients and it comes together so quickly! But I will note that this is just 3-4 servings. So here are some tips for bulking it up!
How to BOOST this recipe:
- serve with quinoa
- top with avocado
- mix the cooked squash with a can of black beans
- top with a hearty scoop of hummus
How to make this recipe PLANT-BASED:
- omit the chicken and toss a can of (drained) chickpeas with the oil, spices, and butternut squash before baking
- omit the chicken and add some hummus and quinoa
How Long to Bake Chicken Thighs
On 400ºF, boneless, skinless chicken thighs should cook in 18-30 minutes, depending on their size.
The nice thing about chicken thighs is that the higher fat content makes them harder to overcook. You have to be careful with chicken breasts, which is why I don’t usually use them for these kinds of recipes.
If you use parchment paper – here’s a great tip! If you ball up the parchment paper and then smooth it out on the pan, it stays in place and works perfectly for mixing the vegetables directly on the pan.
This recipe is super fast and super delicious – I hope you make it!
Vegetarian: Nope – see notes above for how to make this vegetarian
↓ PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER! ↓Print
This easy weeknight sheet pan dinner is perfect for busy nights. I love keeping this in my back pocket for weeknight dinners, and using pre-cut veggies here to save time!
- 1.5 pound chicken thighs
- 1 pound broccoli florets
- 4 cups cubed butternut squash
- 4 Tablespoons oil (avocado oil recommended), divided
- 1 teaspoon each: sea salt, smoked paprika, black pepper, red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Combine the seasonings in a small bowl.
- Pile the broccoli florets in the middle of a parchment-lined tray. Toss with 2 Tablespoons oil, and about half the seasonings. Spread out on a sheet pan in one even layer.
- On another sheet pan, do the same with the butternut squash – pile it up, toss with 1 Tablespoon of oil and most of the remaining seasoning. (I recommend setting aside 1 teaspoon for the chicken.) Spread it out on a sheet pan, making a large space in the middle!
- Arrange the chicken in the middle. Drizzle with the remaining oil and sprinkle with remaining seasoning.
- Bake both sheet pans for 30 minutes on 400ºF, or until the chicken is cooked through.
Optional: if you have the time, this is delightful served with cooked quinoa or an arugula salad with a tart lemon dressing!
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: sheet pan dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sheet pan, sheet pan dinner, easy dinner, weeknight dinner