Nothing beats a warm bowl of hearty soup, right? Lucky for us, soup can be incredibly flavorful and remarkably healthy at the same time. This creamy tomato soup gets its texture from chickpeas, not cream, while the flavor comes from roasted vegetables and a little red pepper kick. Enjoy this vegan soup as is, or pair it with a simple grilled cheese sandwich. I’ve included a few recommended garnishes as well.
I love soup because you normally don’t have to do much work. Chop, roast, blend, right? Most people cook their soups on the stove, but I really love the flavors of roasted vegetables, especially tomatoes and garlic, so I prefer the flavor you get from roasting and blending.
I recommend no more than 1 teaspoon of salt in this soup, as well as a salt-free or low-sodium vegetable broth. If you’re not vegan, you can always substitute for chicken broth if that’s what you’ve got on hand!
And yes, this soup is HEALTHY! It’s low in sodium, fat and carbs, high in vegetables, and less than 200 calories per serving. So go make yourself a batch, or go ahead and make two and toss some in the freezer.
This recipe was shared over on The Nourishing Gourmet.Print
- 1 15-oz can or 2.5 cups chick peas (cooked)
- 2 tomatoes (roma)
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (or any)
- 1 tsp salt (to taste)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- (Optional: fresh basil, pesto, roasted walnuts, garlic croutons or feta cheese for garnish)
- Chop the red bell pepper, tomatoes, onion, and garlic. Put all ingredients besides the vegetable stock (chick peas, vegetables, pepper flakes, olive oil, vinegar, salt) into a casserole dish.
- Cover with foil and roast on 350 degrees for 40 minutes, or until vegetables are cooked through and onions are translucent. (Check halfway through, if it is looking a little dry, add 1/4 cup of warm water.)
- Put vegetable mixture in blender, and add about 1/2 cup of vegetable broth. Blend, slowly adding broth until you reach the desired consistency.
- Optional: Garnish with fresh basil, pesto, roasted walnuts, garlic croutons or feta cheese!
- Category: Soup