Per Serving: $1.45
Should I be embarrassed that all I'm eating these days is various iterations of the same three ingredients? Basil. Tomatoes. Balsamic. I'm not trying to make the same food over and over, it just kind of happens.
You have to admit they work well together. And I had some leftover sorghum, and a bazillion heirloom tomatoes from my CSA box. I've also recently become obsessed with grain salads. I don't know why I used to shy away from them so much. They're super filling. Sometimes when I make a big salad, I feel like I'm eating for ages and ages. I get bored with eating it. All the chomping and such. But when you throw some grains in there, it just seems more manageable. Or maybe I'm just a weirdo.
I don't really know how to name this dish either. Balsamic Grain Salad? Heirloom Tomatoes Are so Pretty Salad? Basically, you just need really quality tomatoes, balsamic, and basil. Then add your choice of greens and grains. Simple, filling, and super delicious.Print
- 1-2 cups cooked sorghum (or quinoa, farro, barley, etc.)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 super ripe & awesome tomatoes (heirloom if you can!)
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, sliced
- dash of salt and pepper to taste
- 2-4 cups fresh greens (arugula!)
- fresh parmesan cheese for topping
- If you don’t have cooked sorghum, start by cooking 1/2 cup dry sorghum. Then set aside to cool.
- In a medium pot, warm the oil over low heat. Grate or mince the garlic and add to the oil. Cook for about one minute, stirring. Make sure it doesn’t burn!
- Cut your tomatoes into wedges or bite-sized chunks. Add to pot and remove from heat. Stir well and let the tomatoes absorb some of the garlic flavor.
- Add cooled sorghum and stir well. Stir in balsamic vinegar and season with salt and pepper. You can mix in the greens now, or plate them (2 servings) and add the sorghum-tomato mixture to the top.
- Top with 1-2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese and serve!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Category: Salad