Recipe: $6.09 | Per Serving: $1.52 | Yield: 4
ONE POT MEALS! For the win! Combine flavorful sausage, rich canned tomatoes, white beans, fresh kale, and just a few herbs and spices and you’ll have this pantry-friendly recipe on the table in under 30 minutes!
This post was originally published in April of 2016 when we were freshly returned to the states from Japan. Photos are new and the instructions have been updated for clarity. I also filmed a video. Thank you for supporting me and my blog!
This one-pot dish is super simple, and it isn’t pasta-based, which makes me happy. Brown some sausage, add some beans, vegetables, and seasonings, cook for a little bit, and serve. I love easy weeknight meals with lots of flavor, and one-pot meals are the best.
How to Make One Pot Sausage, White Beans, and Kale
- Brown the sausage
- Add the onions and cook for a couple of minutes
- Add remaining ingredients (except kale) and stir to combine
- Top it off with the kale, cover, and cook for about 10 minutes!
It’s that easy! I love having just one pot cooking away while I clean up the rest of the kitchen.
This recipe is:
You can adjust this recipe to your own tastes – go for basil instead of oregano, add bell peppers and mushrooms, use fresh tomatoes instead of canned, or swap out the kale for spinach. Lots and lots of variety! Here are some tips for how to modify one pot sausage white beans and kale with other items you may have on hand.
How to Modify This Recipe
- No white beans: Use chickpeas instead of white beans! You could also try black, pinto, or kidney beans.
- No sausage: Use ground meat or even chicken and season the whole thing with Italian Sausage Seasoning. You could also increase the beans and omit the meat entirely.
- No fresh kale: go for whatever other greens you’ve got, or toss in some frozen vegetables. I love having frozen spinach on hand for this reason.
- No canned tomatoes: try 2 Tablespoons of tomato paste and about 1 cup of water or broth instead.
Vegetarian: No! But you could replace the sausage with more white beans and some Italian Sausage Seasoning.
Paleo: No, but you could definitely omit the white beans and bulk it up with more meat or vegetables.
PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER! ↓Print
This easy one-pot meal is perfect for families! It’s made with mostly pantry ingredients and can be modified to be #vegetarian or #paleo.
- 8 ounces sausage (homemade Italian sausage is great)
- 1/2 Tablespoon oil (if needed)
- 1/2 onion, sliced into thin wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 15-ounce cans white beans (I recommend great northern or cannelloni)
- 1 can diced or crushed tomatoes (14–15 ounces), fire roasted is also good
- 8 cups raw chopped kale
- optional: parmesan cheese
- to taste: salt, pepper, red pepper flakes
- Heat a pot or large pan over medium-high heat. If using lean sausage, heat about 1/2 a Tablespoon of oil in the pan. Slice the sausage into thin rounds and brown on both sides. (Or, optionally remove the casing, crumble into the pan, and brown.)
- While the sausage browns, wash and chop the kale.
- Slice the onion and add to the pan. Sauté for about 2 minutes, then add the garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes, and sauté about 30 seconds more.
- Drain and rinse the beans. Add the beans and tomatoes to the pot and stir well. Place the clean & chopped kale on top and cover so it can wilt.
- Cook, covered, for about 10 minutes. Stir to combine the kale and cook another minute or two if needed.
- Add additional salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes as desired and serve.
- Category: One Pot Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: one pot family dinner, family recipes, easy dinner, white beans, sausage, white beans and sausage, sausage and kale, one pot recipe